1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nest box entrance too small?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheJuan-n-Only, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I built my nest boxes and installed them in the coop, however, I'm not sure if I meesed up the entrance. The boxes are 13"x13"x13", but I made the "lip" to keep the bedding too big. The entrance is now about 9.5" is that too small....do I need to get back to work and make the entrance bigger?

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    My nest boxes are 12" cubed with a 10" opening. I have a couple of pretty large chickens (Welsumer and GLW) and they don't have any problem getting into the nest box.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I think they'll be fine. My first nest box was a covered cat litter box and I think the opening was only about 7-8" - they had NO problem getting in and out.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

They are just fine, my RIR go thru a 6x6 hole and don't even notice

5. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    woohoo no more work on the nest boxes! lol Thank you for the good news guys! lol Coop will be done today!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by