nest box 'filler'??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Wasn't sure where to post this but===

At the feed store today, I saw this light, fluffy (almost like tiny bits of down) pine shavings. I can't remember what the name was but I was wondering if it might be nice for the nest box.. Any one ever use this type of stuff. I am now using the large pine shavings (not having any problems with it) and thought this stuff might be better. Any pros or cons?? Cost is a little less for the tiny shavings. Thanks

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I feel like they might eat them is it like sawdust? I would be worried about my chickens eating it. Wait to see what others have to say though.

Henry

3. Staceyfeindt

Staceyfeindt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I would be worried that it would harm their respitory track? That's the only negitive thing I can think of. Breathing in saw dust wouldn't be good for them. What kind of wood is it? That is important too. Some wood shavings has strong oils and can harm a bird's respiratory system. Straw would be best I think!

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Every once in a while the pine shaving I buy are very fine, and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I've just put carpet pieces in my nest boxes, and the girls love it. Every once in a while I switch the carpet out. It gives the hens something soft to sit on and prevents the eggs from breaking

5. sumpenny

sumpenny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I don't know if anyone else does this, but I've been using shredded paper as filler. They really like it and its easy to clean.

6. thatchickenlady

thatchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    New York
    You might want to try it out on a limited basis first. Being as light as you say, hard to say what to expect:)

7. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Quote:I also use shreds in my nest boxes. When I clean out my coop, I mix the paper with their droppings.The high carbon content in the paper helps to break down the nitrogen in the droppings faster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by