Nest box- how high

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by doxies1, Jan 28, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    I just picked up a eight hole nesting box on ebay (2 rows of 4). How high off the ground should the first level be? It will be in my Maran pen.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Mine are a bit high but their dang near finished growing at laying time.[​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

mine don't lay in the box. They lay in a dark corner away from the feeder and waterer.

4. greenriver

greenriver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Wilmington, Il
    Keep the lower perch about 8-10" off the ground where they can hop up easily. Top row should be well below the height of their roost.

5. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:I set all mine at 24" ht. See 'My BYC Page'. I set my roosts at 48" ht. The poop boards [​IMG] for those are at 24' ht so the chooks hop up to a poop board first, then to the roost. I also did a walkway along the front of my nest box rows. Two of my walkway boards are not fastened. That is so I can more easily access the feed troughs.

Gerry [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  6. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    With our chicks, we just stuck a few large cardboard boxes filled with shavings on the floor of the coop. They lay in there just fine. Wo only have eight chickens, though. Are the boxes supposed to be high up?!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by