Nest box idea

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
I was wondering if there would be a way to do this easily. See pic of drawn plans below.
00E356D5-CF2C-4BFC-A1DB-A3E2ED0A0D9E.jpeg

Is there anyway to make the door of the nest box - made out of wood - swing out without a door hitch. Then attached the nest box curtain to the door. Make sense?
Thanks!

I was wondering if there would be a way to do this easily. See pic of drawn plans below.
View attachment 3771738
Is there anyway to make the door of the nest box - made out of wood - swing out without a door hitch. Then attached the nest box curtain to the door. Make sense?
Thanks!
Im not understanding your drawing or question, Ive built a few coops and any doors need hinges/latches/hitch in order to swing and secure.

Is this inside the coop or external access?
A curtain makes me think inside the coop.
Are you looking at the door as a clean out access? Egg gathering access?

I also do not understand the question or the drawing.

Is this inside the coop or external access?
A curtain makes me think inside the coop.
Are you looking at the door as a clean out access? Egg gathering access?

I also do not understand the question or the drawing.
Its my inside nest boxes. My chickens sleep in the nest boxes and poop in them so it would be to clean out the poo and dirty shavings. Let me come up with a clearer drawing.

If I understand your drawing, the curtain is inside the coop and attached to the door so that when you go in, you will immediately be inside the section with the nest boxes, correct?

Hinges are only needed if accessing the nest boxes to gather eggs from the outside the coop. You need to open a solid door (often wood) that protects the nest boxes from external predators. Nest boxes don't need to be separated from the rest of the coop on the inside at all. General security on the coop/run will keep out predators. The chickens don't need privacy curtains.

If you address the issue of chickens sleeping in next boxes, your boxes should always be clean and when you do clean them, bedding should be easy to lift out I just renovated my nest boxes. I used this shelf. Added a back, 3inch lip board top and bottom and made sure that it's lower than my roost bars even though I added a slanted roof on top. Super easy and they already love it. Just one idea. Are your roost bars the same height as your nest boxes?
nestbox.PNG

If you address the issue of chickens sleeping in next boxes, your boxes should always be clean and when you do clean them, bedding should be easy to lift out I just renovated my nest boxes. I used this shelf. Added a back, 3inch lip board top and bottom and made sure that it's lower than my roost bars even though I added a slanted roof on top. Super easy and they already love it. Just one idea. Are your roost bars the same height as your nest boxes? View attachment 3771905
Thanks! Yes they are.

Thanks! Yes they are.
If they ARE the same height, that is the problem. Lower the nest boxes or raise up the roost bars. Problem solved that way instead of your initial idea. I dont know how many chickens you have but the idea of providing a box for each chicken sounds like way more work than getting roost bar vs. nest box height corrected.

Back
Top Bottom