Nest Box Orientation

MTP55

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Thumb of Michigan
I'm making the final touches to my newest coop before winter and am adding in brand new Nest-O-Matic boxes. I have three so far but will need to add three more before they start laying.y question is, do chickens care how the boxes are oriented? As in all in one straight row or stacked? I know the community boxes generally have two rows stacked. I have a set that is that way that I got used but my first flock won't use the bottom boxes. I do think I prefer to put them all in a row. I think the answer will be "no, they don't care" but thought I'd see anyway.

... question is, do chickens care how the boxes are oriented? As in all in one straight row or stacked?...

I think you are right. Chickens don't give a hoot. Nest boxes are something that chickens can do without. They are strictly something dreamed up by people for people. I will say this however, everything being equal I think that chickens much prefer to make their own nests in places were we humans would never think of looking.

I agree. I'm just trying to make it easier on myself. All our eggs are sold through a farm market. So clean and unbroken eggs are best. The first flock has about 6 birds that refuse to use the neat box. They make a nest every day on the floor in the straw. I can deal with that. They were in the habit of eating them. So I put more bedding down, added oyster shells and gave them more time out of the run when I'm around. Hoping to introduce the new flock to the boxes earlier so they maybe use them more.

Back
Top Bottom