Nest box questions

Englewood

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 3, 2011
I have 7 hens and know nothing about building nest boxes. How many, how big, what materials, how high off the ground? I am looking for something that is very easy to construct. Let me know what you think!

Check through this thread for examples and ideas. They can be as simple or complex as you want to make them.

Nesting Boxes
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41108

On the how many, I suggest two as a minimum. Three won't hurt, but two should be enough. You'll find that they will mostly use one anyway, but an extra gives you a bit of flexibility in managing them. Say if one goes broody, there is still an extra nest available.

How high off the ground does not really matter that much to the chickens. I suggest make it convenient for you.

One concern is that the roost needs to be higher than the nest boxes so they want to roost on the roosts instead of in the nests. Most chickens instinctively want to roost on the highest spot available. You do not want them pooping in the nests at night.

Nest boxes can be as elaberate as you like, A milk crate tossed on the floor with some straw makes a wonderful nest. Suggest a miniumu of 2 boxes and plan about 1 nest per 5-6 birds

Another one is stackable recycling bins.

Remember, aside from the poop tray, nests are the messiest item to clean in the coop. The more mobile and smooth surfaced, the easier to clean out

Back
Top Bottom