Nest box size: Brahma's and Jersey Giants

I currently have 13.5"x13.5" milk crates that I'm using. They are great for the leghorns and comfy for the Barred Rocks too...the large birds I have are as big as the barred rocks are right now and will get larger. That's got me thinking those milk crates are going to get tight for the larger birds.

I plan on also getting Jersey Giants.
I made the nest box for them closest to the ground along with them being 18"x18". Height of nest box shouldn't be much over 12" from the ground. My smaller hens lay in the larger box often.
It's the lower right one in picture.
KIMG0108.jpg

I currently have 13.5"x13.5" milk crates that I'm using.
Are they sitting with open end 'up' or to the side?
I assume they are 13.5"x13.5"x13.5"high?

Minimum size usually recommended is 12x12x12.
Mine are 14x14x16...works here and I've had some pretty big birds, Brahma and Marans.
Height is important too, the bedding can take up some of the height.
Did you know they actually stand up when the egg emerges?

full

I think they're 13.5"x13.5"x 11"...I think. Anyway, I cut part of one side out so the birds can enter, but they have plenty of overhead room. I placed the crates in a homemade box, slanted and hinged lid, that's IIRC 14" or 15" tall in the front and 24" in the rear where the hinges are.

I think they're 13.5"x13.5"x 11"...I think. Anyway, I cut part of one side out so the birds can enter, but they have plenty of overhead room. I placed the crates in a homemade box, slanted and hinged lid, that's IIRC 14" or 15" tall in the front and 24" in the rear where the hinges are.
That should work for the big girls...unless she stands too close to the side when dropping the egg it might go out..... doubtful, butt possible.

Are they sitting with open end 'up' or to the side?
I assume they are 13.5"x13.5"x13.5"high?

Minimum size usually recommended is 12x12x12.
Mine are 14x14x16...works here and I've had some pretty big birds, Brahma and Marans.
Height is important too, the bedding can take up some of the height.
Did you know they actually stand up when the egg emerges?

full

Hi @aart! Can I ask, is that 14”W x 14”D x 16” H? I have a Brahma too and she is gonna be huge (if she’s a she and gets to stay around). Is it a problem to have a nest box that is shorter(less high) at the back where you access the eggs and taller at the front? From your picture I am guessing that the chickens back into the nesting box usually so the shorter end of the chicken would be in the shorter end of the box.

Back
Top Bottom