Nest box training help

Cat G

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
Have 3 nesting boxes for 4 hens (3 more hens coming tomorrow). I put fake eggs in the boxes. Day 1 they were kicked out onto the coop floor. This morning (Day 2), I found both fake eggs all the way out in the run area! I had to chuckle. 🤣

Regardless, the only laying has been on the coop floor. The nesting boxes contain pine shavings which have been kicked around a bunch, I'm thinking they are sleeping there. Anyone else every seen their girls kick fake eggs completely out of the coop??? And any ideas for alternate ways to train them to lay in the boxes?

Thanks in advance!

Are they laying?
MIne were starting to lay when I built a nesting box. I used a couple of their own eggs and put a mark on them. Took couple weeks for all of them to finally get it and lay in the box. I did not have a problem with the eggs being knocked out.
I have a lip on my box 2 inches, but wish a made more of a lip.
Every 3 days or so I reload nesting box with straw as they scratch it out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-throwing-fake-eggs-out.1446537/

Thanks. Yes, 3 of the 4 are laying. One finally laid in the box today, but another is still dropping them on the coop floor. Hopefully they'll figure it out!

Photos of your nests? A good size lip on the boxes is the best way to keep stuff inside there.

They shouldn't be allowed to sleep in the nest boxes, as that's an easy way for the boxes to get soiled which means soiled eggs. It sounds like you're unsure about that? Check after dark to see for sure if they're sleeping in there or not.

hredirect2.php

Do you not have a lip on the front of the box like above? (not my pic)

My 2-year-old hens still occasionally throw fake eggs to the floor in the coop with open front nest boxes. I did put lips on the boxes in one of the coops, and that worked better.

However, when everyone is free ranging during the day, the most favored boxes are in the coop that has open top boxes. I think those must feel more private, and they can't toss out the fake eggs.

Good luck with your girls!

I agree with @aart. I have used many different nesting materials over the years. Now I use pine shavings. I use golf balls and did find some out in their pen completely out of the coop. I don't know why but most birds like to scratch in the nest boxes before they lay their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom