Nest boxes - interior vs exterior

3CrazyChicks

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
I am building a coop and have designed it with the nest boxes inside. I see quite a few designs with them hanging out, so just wondering if there are particular advantages to one that hangs outside the coop. We live in Missouri, so we have some harsh winters but also have some brutal summers.

I am building a coop and have designed it with the nest boxes inside. I see quite a few designs with them hanging out, so just wondering if there are particular advantages to one that hangs outside the coop. We live in Missouri, so we have some harsh winters but also have some brutal summers.
Usually it's to leave more space in small coops....and be able to collect eggs more easily in same. More cons to external nests than pros, IMO.

The only advantage for exterior, you don't have to go in the coop. I personally like going inside the coop. It's 8 x 12, so plenty of room. The nest boxes are raised 18 inches from the floor, so no floor space is lost.

inside coop.jpg

I am currently working on a new, expanded walk-in coop. I am putting mine on an interior wall. I think it is personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom