Nest boxes question

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
I am building a coop for my chickens as right now my garage is grand central with me milking in there. Should I put together nest boxes and put them in the framed coop (that's how far along it is) and see if the ladies will start to lay over there?

Reason I ask is I have 5 hens, and one little pullet who gave me her very first egg yesterday, who I know are laying only I can only find 2-3 eggs a day. I thought at first everyone wasn't laying til I found 10 eggs under a tree.
gig.gif
I have several other little pullets who are getting close to laying and I'm not very good at these easter egg hunts.
lau.gif
(literally)

Lock them in their house for a week. Put golf balls or fake eggs in the nesting boxes to help teach them where you want them to lay. Once they lean where to lay they should come in to lay then go back outside. I have never had one of mine mlay an egg outside yet. Everyone lays in the house and mostly in the nesting boxes. A couple of mine have built their own nest on the floor and lay in the sameplace daily.

Back
Top Bottom