Nest boxes....single divided or community...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hopefulloflove, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Ok, so I've been researching and I am wondering what sort of nest boxes to use. I have 20 birds, and I do sort of like the idea of community boxes, but not sure if it's the best idea...what are the pros and cons please...

2. hensofhallora

hensofhallora Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I have found that the individual boxes are better because you tend to get less eggs in the one spot. less eggs together means less breakages. I have tried the communal boxes and they tend to cause more fighting too. For 20 hens I would have at least 5 boxes. they will probably pick their favourite 2 and just use those anyway:p

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I also like seperated boxes. Many will still use the same one but it works out better.

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I tried both and I agree individual boxes are much better

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's mine easy to build & they seem to love them.LOL!![​IMG]

6. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. I've tried both and had different results than the others. All my chickens want the same spot. so I have one big box and you have as many as 3-4 laying on top of each other trying to lay. It seems to work for them . Never had a broken egg. [​IMG]

7. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:That's me. I have 9 of laying age. I had 6 nest boxes in the old coop. They all used 1. Now I have only 4. They still all use one. They wait in line for that box!

8. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have single boxes in one coop and communal boxes in another. I have very large hens and they seem to have trouble getting into the smaller boxes. The down side to the larger boxes is if I don't go out at least five times a day to collect eggs, somebody sees all those lovely eggs in one place and switches like magic into broody mode!

9. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have 3 hen houses, one large one divided in half. in 2 of them I have about 9 each and have one lg. nesting area. it works fine, they don't break them and all is well. The others with the divided nest are always fighting over the nesting box, sometimes they have 2-3 trying to lay in one box at the same time and sometimes will break the eggs because they are just that, single nesting boxes. if I had it do all over again, I would rip out the single nesting boxes and make it one large one with maybe 1-2 single ones on the side if some truly preferred it.

10. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    Someone has actually suggested to me to use the hooded cat litter pans.. Spending the same (if not less) to purchase those AND they break down for easy cleaning. They are plastic so germs wont be an issue [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by