Nest boxes under poop shelf?

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
We're intending to move on from our Omlet Cube and build a coop next spring. I have an idea in mind that I haven't really seen it executed. Poop shelf is a must, but is there any reason the nest boxes shouldn't be under that shelf? I suppose a chicken could perch on the edge of the poop shelf and aim over the side, leaving deposits in front of the nest box for others to track in. Otherwise, it seems an efficient design. The nest box itself will be a rollaway style at 24" deep, which aligns with the depth of my poop shelf. Illustration attached. Sorry it's an assault on the eyes; I needed to up the contrast to make it legible.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 9.23.36 AM.png

I have poop trays on top of my nest boxes like that. The hens poop on the tray if they choose to roost on the edge of it. They also have a roost bar above the poop trays. I bought some dog crate plastic trays to use there and it really makes cleanup easy.

The design would really work great if the youngsters would just stop sleeping in the nest boxes 😂🙄

We're intending to move on from our Omlet Cube and build a coop next spring. I have an idea in mind that I haven't really seen it executed. Poop shelf is a must, but is there any reason the nest boxes shouldn't be under that shelf? I suppose a chicken could perch on the edge of the poop shelf and aim over the side, leaving deposits in front of the nest box for others to track in. Otherwise, it seems an efficient design. The nest box itself will be a rollaway style at 24" deep, which aligns with the depth of my poop shelf. Illustration attached. Sorry it's an assault on the eyes; I needed to up the contrast to make it legible.

View attachment 3705986

Is this what you ended up going with for design? I’d love to see pictures of the finished product, if you’ve gotten that far :) I’m thinking of building something similar!

Back
Top Bottom