nest boxes

ejstoner

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
when one of my hens decides to lay, all the others(3) of them, get inside the nest with the other hen. Usually only 2 others can fit, but sometimes eggs get broken. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sounds like they are all laying on the same cycle. Can you provide a second nest? Also, what are you using for nest bedding?

I have 2 nests, but the never use the other one. I have hay in the nests

same problem here. I guess they just like one particular nest for some reason and when they are ready to lay they don't want to wait. They are funny like that.

It is sort of amusing to see 3 birds in one nest-- the only problem is that with all that moving around, and vying for space they crack or break the eggs

Broken eggs is not good huh? Well, I tried yesterday to pull this one hen out and leave the other one alone. I must have pulled her out of that nest 10 times and she would not go in the other nest. I finally held her a while but finally I said, well I can't hold ya anymore and she ran right back in that nest. I was lucky and no eggs were broken. Maybe it will pass.
hu.gif

We have 6 hens and they all fight over one nest! When things get bad, we put eggs in the the other nest and sometimes they lay in both nests for a short time. Worth a shot trying!

It seems whatever nesting material I put in there, within a couple days, the scratch it all out. Are wood shavings better than hay?

Back
Top Bottom