Nest Boxes

JavaJones

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2015
New Port Richey, Fl
I hope I can get my question right so it's understood.

I now have my chickens out in the coop. I blocked off the nesting boxes like I was told to do in a book I read. My chickens aren't due to lay eggs for the first time till August. At what point do I allow them to use the nest boxes? When and how do I introduce fake eggs in the nesting boxes?

Thank You.

Jeff

I hope I can get my question right so it's understood.

I now have my chickens out in the coop. I blocked off the nesting boxes like I was told to do in a book I read. My chickens aren't due to lay eggs for the first time till August. At what point do I allow them to use the nest boxes? When and how do I introduce fake eggs in the nesting boxes?

Thank You.

Jeff

I would not open the boxes or add any bait until your birds are showing signs of being ready to begin laying (reddening of the face/wattles/comb, submissive squatting, etc). What breed(s) do you have? As to how - just open the nests and put the fake eggs in them, it's really that simple. Once you have opened the nests you will want to check them in the evening (when they go to roost) to be sure that they are not thinking of sleeping in the boxes - if you do find them in there ready for the night, simply move them back to the roost. It may take a few nights, but they will get the idea about nest is for laying/roost is for sleeping.

Back
Top Bottom