nest boxing help!!

jason180sx

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
ireland
hi
i have 8 chicken and went i got them at 3-6 weeks old and they allways sleped together and thery are 15-18 weeks old now and they all sleep together and i have a roost but they sleep in three boxs
help please
thanks

take the boxes out for now. They don't need them just yet. After dark, manually put them on the roost. After a few days, they'll get the hang of it.

No problems with them huddling together. But if they sleep in the nest boxes, they get really poopy. Then when they start laying, might have poopy eggs.

You can block the nest boxes off. I used a cardbord box and kept it blocked for a week and they began roosting and laying soon therafter.

They can snuggle on the roost together.

If you have a laying hen, then I agree with covering the nest box at night. You'll have to uncover it early in the am so as to make it available to the hen.

You just don't want them sleeping/poooping in the nest box.

Quote:
but will the hen still lay with all the other chickens with her

Some will. I have seen 2 hens in 1 box with 2 eggs laid at the same time. They don't seem to notice the cramped quarters.

I just worry when mine 2 go broody together that they will overheat with 2 in the one box for a prolonged time.

Back
Top Bottom