Nest Mites... I think...

Toro

Songster
7 Years
May 18, 2012
New Yawk
I have recently noticed that every time I pick up my rooster, i come away with a bunch of very small bugs on me. At first I thought they were plain mites, but after some research I found a picture which looks very similar to what they look like.
After seeing that they were called nest mites, I remembered where I had seen them before. I had seen them on a bird nest on my front porch. So, I think my rooster has nest mites. I don't know if any of you have experienced this before but I need to know if it's contagious, harmful, and how to get rid of it. Thanks

I highly recommend that you purchase sevin dust and dust your rooster and your other birds as well as inside the coop and nests. Then repeat dusting your birds and coop again in 7-10 days.

Yuck!! Hope yours are not that bad!!

Oh and if its the same as what we had the darn things can bite you so I assume them too so must be very uncomfortable for them. Know we itched like crazy.

Last edited:
Yeah me and my dad are finding red dots on our feet...
tongue.gif
It's really disgusting

Wait till they move up to the dark places like under your armpits etc. They don't live off the chickens long but darn they itch till they die. I'd have a good shower after handling or you will know about it after a night with them. They come out at night and by morning you are covered in itchy bites.

Can't remember the names but if you search my threads its on one of those. I got advice from my vet and just used drops so was very easy to fix.

Last edited:
I have just searched over my rooster, looking for the bugs, and I found them clustered around his vent. What does this mean? I no longer think they are bird nest mites, but something else. Here's a picture of his vent (the black spots around it the mites, but the picture makes it look better than it appears because you can't see most of them. There are also scab type things (the red parts). Should I still do the bug killer dust?

Back
Top Bottom