"Nesting Box Blends" --Home made Recipe?

WoofMeowCluck

Dark Speckled Egg Lover
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Hi!

I've used the Nesting Box Blends in the chicken coop, wonderful smell but very expensive to use for two coops!

Does anyone know of a Home Made Recipe? I can start planting soon because the weather is getting nicer, YAY.

Or, a store that sells the Nesting Box Blends reasonably?

Thank you!!
smile.png

It's a blend of herbs that smell good - it's supposed to be a calming smell to the chickens and some of the herbs keep bugs away.

I've been looking for a recipe for it on line but no luck so far.

The stuff Im familiar with Contains lavender, chamomile, bay leaves, ecualyptus leaves, oregano, peppermint, tansy, wormwood, marigold petals, spearmint and catnip. This stuff costs $15.00 a pound. WOW
I have growing around my house, lavender, chamomile,various mints and catnip. Maybe Ill give some of this a try. Oregano is pretty easy to grow, so are marigolds. I dont know what tansy is and I dont know where to get ecualyptus leaves or wormwood.

i found this list online so you can make your own custom blends.
Here is a partial list of common herbs and flowers and their beneficial properties:

Basil - antibacterial, mucus membrane health
Catnip - sedative, insecticide
Cilantro - antioxidant, fungicide, builds strong bones, high in Vitamin A for vision and Vitamin K for blood clotting
Dill - antioxidant, relaxant, respiratory health

Fennel -laying stimulant
Garlic - laying stimulant
Lavender - stress reliever, increases blood circulation, highly aromatic, insecticide
Lemon Balm - stress reliever, antibacterial, highly aromatic, rodent repellent

Marigold - laying stimulant
Marjoram - lay stimulant
Mint (all kinds) - insecticide and rodent repellent
Nasturtium - laying stimulant, antiseptic, antibiotic, insecticide, wormer
Oregano - combats coccidia, salmonella, infectious bronchitis, avian flue, blackhead and e-coli
Parsley - high in vitamins, aids in blood vessel development, laying stimulant
Peppermint - anti-parasitic, insecticide
Pineapple Sage - aids nervous system, highly aromatic
Rose Petals - highly aromatic, high in Vitamin C
Rosemary - pain relief, respiratory health, insecticide
Sage - antioxidant, anti-parasitic
Spearmint - antiseptic, insecticide, stimulates nerve, brain and blood functions
Tarragon - antioxidant
Thyme - respiratory health, antibacterial, antioxidant

Great, thank you! I bought a lot of plants at the plant nursery so I'll try to make my own.

Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom