Nesting Box: Can I use a repurposed drawer?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LN2008, Aug 1, 2011.

1. LN2008

LN2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Larryville, KS
    Hi! I'm about to start my coop (the girls are in an improvised tractor) and I am trying to use as much repurposed lumber as possible. The Habitat for Humanity Restore has some deep drawers for sale and I thought I might be able to take off one end, make it chicken safe (sand down any rough/sharp points) and use it as a nesting box. Has anyone here ever tried this?? Is it a good/bad idea?

Thanks!

2. loadsofeggs

loadsofeggs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    I believe that would work [​IMG]

3. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

I use Walmart kitty litter boxes. They are only a few bucks and I like how they are lightweight and very easy to clean.
    [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A dresser drawer is fine. Not sure why you would need to take an end off, but that would be fine, too. Some people have community nests that a few chickens share. All my nests are repurposed containers of various sorts.

5. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Our first nest boxes were made using drawers from an old nightstand. My hubby insisted on building "real" boxes when the chickens actually started laying, but honestly I think the drawer would have been perfectly fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by