Nesting box good enough?

Overthinker

Songster
Sep 26, 2021
Howdy,

My nexting box is about 16x30 and i have 11 chickens. I know two can use at the same time.

Is that good enough or do i need more?
If more was needed I'd rather put something simple in the coop than build another identical one.

So should i put some more boxes inside it or something or is it all good?

Attachments

• 20220308_111403.jpg
    20220308_111403.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 10
Update, so my Easter eggers use the box. And i found a couple brown ones but it's been a while so i looked around and i found a bunch in a bush...what happened? Also, the Easter Eggers don't lay till like 11 in the morning, do i need to put more windows on the coop?

I do have a few fake eggs in the box, but it has pine shavings like the rest of the coup, i gues i should throw some of the material that was in the bush in the box?

Attachments

• 20220311_084943.jpg
    20220311_084943.jpg
    791.4 KB · Views: 3
Update, so my Easter eggers use the box. And i found a couple brown ones but it's been a while so i looked around and i found a bunch in a bush...what happened? Also, the Easter Eggers don't lay till like 11 in the morning, do i need to put more windows on the coop?

I do have a few fake eggs in the box, but it has pine shavings like the rest of the coup, i gues i should throw some of the material that was in the bush in the box?

Chickens lay at any time during the day and they get notions about where they want to do the laying.

You could shut them into the coop for a few days to try to get them into the habit of using the boxes. :)

Chickens lay at any time during the day and they get notions about where they want to do the laying.

You could shut them into the coop for a few days to try to get them into the habit of using the boxes.
Yes.

do i need to put more windows on the coop?
Yes.

Do you have a run too?

SO, the "thumb rule" is that you want one nesting box for every 4-5 hens, plus one. Meaning 3-4 nesting boxes for your flock size. You have???? one mega-box? two large boxes approx 30x30 each? three boxes 10x30?

Also, chickens play "follow the leader" a lot. You can train them to use the nesting boxes, remind them to use the nesting boxes with golf balls, fake eggs, etc - but every once in a while, someone (often a new layer) will drop an egg in a new place, then others will follow that example...

If everyone suddenly stops using the nesting boxes, immedfiately inspect (well, that night, anyways) for mites and other insect infestations which may have made the boxes unattractive to them.

/edit @aart 's advice above, and @3KillerBs ' is, as usual, excellent. Take that to heart, first.

Thanks, I'll put some straw or something in there and make it more nesty. I'll keep a better look out for these bush nests. I do have fake eggs and the easter eggers lay in there. And there was a brown egg for a few days. I think you're right, someone dropped one in the bushes and they all started doing it

I have a small run, might keep them in the run a day or two and see if that helps

Should i have windows to let more light in or does it not matter

Back
Top Bottom