Nesting box height.

BoonieBirds

Hatching
Aug 14, 2022
Pls advise! Nesting box height for:
-2 brahma chickens
-2 rhode island red chickens
-2 ducks
All 6 will be in same coop. Understand brahma wont fly high to nest and ducks/brahma need bigger nesting box. Nesting boxes, can I build 3 at 12 inch height from ground and 3 at 24 inch height form ground for these bird types? Hoping to stack boxes. 3 below, 3 above. Advice appreciate!

Pls advise! Nesting box height for:
-2 brahma chickens
-2 rhode island red chickens
-2 ducks
All 6 will be in same coop. Understand brahma wont fly high to nest and ducks/brahma need bigger nesting box. Nesting boxes, can I build 3 at 12 inch height from ground and 3 at 24 inch height form ground for these bird types? Hoping to stack boxes. 3 below, 3 above. Advice appreciate!
The ducks likely won't use the nesting boxes. Mine make nests on the ground in the run. For my Brahma, the nests are about 3 in from the ground. And, with that # of birds, you'll only need 2 or 3 boxes, really. I have 17 hens and have 5 boxes. They only use 3! The other 2 sit empty. Silly birds...

I don't have ducks so I don't know from experience, but the ducks reputedly require nests on the ground and may or may not use them.

Brahmas don't fly well so when I put my nests up at elbow height for my own convenience I gave my Brahma a ramp to use.

4 hens technically need only 1 box, but I think that 2 should be the minimum so they have a choice. :)

Back
Top Bottom