Nesting box / hygiene / eggs not hatching

IMG-20220813-WA0009.jpg
and we have chicks. Still a few more eggs to hatch and been a while since the first egg hatched

Bacteria from the broken egg may have contaminated her nest. Did the chick, who died, look normal or mushy/bloated?
I think this might have something to do with the low hatch rate. +-4 at the moment but have now 2 others hatched and died.

I only set 8 max under my Orpingtons mostly because more than 8 chicks is a lot to keep track of for a free ranging hen. I do let mine sit when they want though, so there are always multiple families running around causing chaos.

Once you get to know your hen’s specialty as a mother you can determine what’s best for her. My early weaning moms (4 weeks or less) get more chicks so they can lookout for each other when she goes back to laying. My long term moms (6 weeks or more) get only a few chicks since they are so mature when she weans them they fit right into the flock. If you have a mixed flock a long term mom is the best choice for flighty nervous chicks like Leghorns. She will teach them not to roost in the trees :lol:
Lol. That is the reason I sold my leghorns

View attachment 3221643and we have chicks. Still a few more eggs to hatch and been a while since the first egg hatched
Hi guys, so I am very greatfull that at we have at least 4 more chicks. All super cute and different. However there is still a few eggs that haven't hatched. Last egg that hatched was 2 days ago. Are the rest of the eggs dead? How much longer should I wait from them to hatch before calling it quits

Hi guys, so I am very greatfull that at we have at least 4 more chicks. All super cute and different. However there is still a few eggs that haven't hatched. Last egg that hatched was 2 days ago. Are the rest of the eggs dead? How much longer should I wait from them to hatch before calling it quits
I don't toss mine until they are 25 days, or the hen has left the nest.

And Congratulations on your new chicks!

Back
Top Bottom