Nesting box inside vs outside coop

ozzyman778

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 11, 2013
UK
I have bee. Having issues with my birds not laying in the nest boxes but instead the floor.

After some suggestions from board members I thought the boxes may look more inviting and secure if located outside the coop.

Before:
2013-09-20155635.jpg

Notice how up high and next to the roof vent they are?
20130831_190834.jpg

After:
20130927_161825.jpg

20130927_161719.jpg
20130927_161736.jpg

We'll see if it helps with eggs but I feel the lower roosts away from vents and the added floor space was worth it...

Anyone wanting to know how I did it. I literally hacked a hole in my shed screwed in legs measured to height for the nest boxes. I cut the slant into the box with my circular saw. The roof is left over clear curogated roofing. The opening was framed into the shed and the boxes were secured to shed side with screws. I then used scrap wood to cover any gaps and sealed everything with roof and gutter sealant. All in all it is very "Mickey moused" and everything was cut to measure. Just kind of winged it, too about 2 Hours total

You might want to try adding a board in front of the top boxes so they can hop up and get in easier, I would try putting a golf ball in each box it worked for mine, they were very curious about the balls and would go into the boxes to look around must have worked they lay in them every day.

Thanks I will add a perch board in front of the upper boxes. I tried putting fake eggs in the boxes but it didn't seem to interest them.

My chickens will not lay in anything but straw or hay (not even shavings), so if you're just using nest pads it may take them a while to get the hang of it. That being said, I love your new setup, much roomier! Though if I tried that, mine would find rafters in a nearby barn to roost in
hmm.png
they all insist on being at least 6ft in the air.

I thought about adding hay to the boxes but it often prevents the eggs from rolling out the back. Maybe I could use hay or straw till they get used to it thanks

I fold a empty feed bag to line my nest. My nest boxes are just empty milk cases deminsion 1ft³ with a board zip tied to the front.I also have milk crates for storage above them. When a feed bag gets soiled fold a clean one pop out the soiled and pop in the new. Easy Peasy.

Back
Top Bottom