Nesting boxes

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
I have a flock of 12 (11 hens 1 roo) but will slowly be adding. I have an 8x12 shed for their coop. How many nesting boxes should I have? I want enough so I do not need to add on in the future when adding onto the flock. I was thinking 6? I will not go over 18-20 chickens(I'm thinking lol)
Also, I'm using milk crates. Share your photos of your nesting boxes, especially if using milk crates and maybe curtains. I will eventually add some on. Thanks!

I have 6 boxes for our 20 girls and it's not enough, lol, I think this because about 15 try to lay at the same time of day. Come spring we are adding another layer of boxes. Yes, there are four boxes that are favored and even with two (Australorp and Orpington) in one box there is always a waiting line and at times that ends with eggs on the ground (not always) lol

I wouldn't go less than six. Despite hens often having the same 'favorite' nest boxes, better to have plenty available for them to chose from. I use med.-sized (12 x 18"???) rubbermaid tote boxes without the lids. Cut a "U" shaped opening on one of the short sides. Cover the cut edge with a short piece of old garden hose or other tubing. Easy to remove and clean. I fill mine with coastal hay, just like a bird nest.

This is what im currently working on. It's not done so no judgement. They haven't moved in yet. I am doing some cheap Waterproof wall paper on the back wall to be able to easily wipe the poop off. I want to do some type of curtains and frame around the nesting boxes. Any ideas? Should I add a few more? My husband gets milk crates free from work there's probably another 50 of them if I need more 😂 this shed is huge 12x8 so ive got room for more nesting boxes.
20240109_141953.jpg

I'm sure there are better ways to do curtains but I had leftover fleece we used as a wool hen for our babies and I turned it into curtains. But they are just strung on a bamboo stick and held up with Bungie cords lol

Okay well this is my only photo on my phone lol I should have some in my gallery.

Attachments

• PXL_20231231_231918714.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231231_231918714.MP.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 17
I'm sure there are better ways to do curtains but I had leftover fleece we used as a wool hen for our babies and I turned it into curtains. But they are just strung on a bamboo stick and held up with Bungie cords lol

Okay well this is my only photo on my phone lol I should have some in my gallery.
Looks nice and warm and cozy though! Not bad at all!

Back
Top Bottom