1. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    I'm building a coop for 6 chickens, and it has 2 nesting boxes. The nesting boxes jut out of the coop and have a slanted lid. To access the eggs, the lid opens on the top by swinging upwards. Has anyone with a similar setup ever had to put latches on the lid so predators don't get in? I've wondered how many racoons have pried the lids open and killed the flock. [​IMG]

2. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    My chicks aren't laying yet, darn it. But, my lids are about 4' off the ground. They also have sides and a front, so they are heavy. Click the link and scroll down. i haven't painted them yet. They are now but no new pics.
    I do have plans for a small latch at some point, just for peace of mind.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=516023

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    Ok, thank you. Beautiful coop!

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would latch... mine are. Very little work and expense for the added security.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  5. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Wow, I had no idea it wasn't critical to latch the nest box cover! Maybe I went a little overboard... we don't have to tell my husband about this, right??

[​IMG]

6. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    I would put latches on, one for either end to prevent something or someone from trying to pry the lid up. A "better safe than sorry" measure. My coop has similar boxes to what you mention (or will once I finish building it). While my dogs keep assorted four legged critters at bay, I do have one of those two legged beasts called an 8-y/o boy who would never allow my lady birds to get any privacy so latches are a mandatory piece of equipment.

7. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Better safe than sorry. [​IMG]

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you think about it, it's the easiest way for a coon or any climber to enter, they simply push up with their head and crawl into your coop. Put a hasp and snap link on the door (a short piece of string will keep you from loosing the snaplink)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by