Nesting box lid?

polishchickens111

Songster
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Over there
I'm building a coop for 6 chickens, and it has 2 nesting boxes. The nesting boxes jut out of the coop and have a slanted lid. To access the eggs, the lid opens on the top by swinging upwards. Has anyone with a similar setup ever had to put latches on the lid so predators don't get in? I've wondered how many racoons have pried the lids open and killed the flock.
hu.gif

Wow, I had no idea it wasn't critical to latch the nest box cover! Maybe I went a little overboard... we don't have to tell my husband about this, right??

2011-07-03_10-27-20_181.jpg

I would put latches on, one for either end to prevent something or someone from trying to pry the lid up. A "better safe than sorry" measure. My coop has similar boxes to what you mention (or will once I finish building it). While my dogs keep assorted four legged critters at bay, I do have one of those two legged beasts called an 8-y/o boy who would never allow my lady birds to get any privacy so latches are a mandatory piece of equipment.

If you think about it, it's the easiest way for a coon or any climber to enter, they simply push up with their head and crawl into your coop. Put a hasp and snap link on the door (a short piece of string will keep you from loosing the snaplink)

Back
Top Bottom