Nesting Box Material Questions

bigspringshatchery

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Roanoke Alabama
I posted a question yesterday about eggs gettin ate. But I watched a hen today and when she laid the egg it cracked. What can I put in the boxs to keep that from happening? I've tried a couple things and they scratch it out and lay on the bare bottom. It's like they wanna lay on something solid. I dont understand it.

I use hay in my nest boxes. I put in a lot of it and they like to work it around into a cozy little nest shape. I also have curtains on my nest boxes (for several reasons) and I'm not sure, but maybe that would help keep the nesting material in the boxes? It's cheap and easy to do.
Here's a pic of my set-up:
43104_4-23-10_dec_the_coop_5.jpg

Good luck!

I use hay in my nest boxes. I put in a lot of it and they like to work it around into a cozy little nest shape. I also have curtains on my nest boxes (for several reasons) and I'm not sure, but maybe that would help keep the nesting material in the boxes? It's cheap and easy to do.

Good luck!

You say you use curtains for several reasons. other than darkness/privacy, I was wondering what these reasons are?

Thanks!

Hi Marc. Wow, this thread is old and I didn't realize that I had been using nest box curtains since before June 2010. Time flies! What's funny is that I just wrote a blog post about nest box curtains that answers your question. It's also funny that I thought two years ago that nest box curtains might help keep the nesting material in the boxes! That is one purpose the curtains do NOT serve! LOL Here is my blog post on nest box curtains: http://eggcartonlabels.blogspot.com/2012/03/nest-box-curtains-more-than-fashion.html

You say you use curtains for several reasons. other than darkness/privacy, I was wondering what these reasons are?

Thanks!

Hi Marc. Wow, this thread is old and I didn't realize that I had been using nest box curtains since before June 2010. Time flies! What's funny is that I just wrote a blog post about nest box curtains that answers your question. It's also funny that I thought two years ago that nest box curtains might help keep the nesting material in the boxes! That is one purpose the curtains do NOT serve! LOL Here is my blog post on nest box curtains: http://eggcartonlabels.blogspot.com/2012/03/nest-box-curtains-more-than-fashion.html

Very helpful. My wife (chickenwifey) and I have been debating curtains and hopefully this will help persuade her that we need them
smile.png
Thanks!

I use hay in my nest boxes too, my hens tend to leave it alone. It's rare to see it scratched around or out of the nest. There are pads you can buy that you can nail or staple down for nest boxes, I've seen them online. They look a little like those plastic door mats that are supposed to clean your shoes off, which might be a good subsitute for the nest pads you buy online, just cut to fit and staple down in the box, or maybe that green outdoor carpet....just some ideas that may help, good luck.

Sure, steveandval. Here is the link to one of the automatic pop door openers that we use. We have two coops. The one you see in this coop is from Foy's pigeon supply but this link will give you information about the other one and how it works. Both work the same way and work just as well. I'd recommend the Add-a-Motor model. http://www.add-a-motor.com/Model D20 Motor for Chicken Coop Doors.htm

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A TIMER ON THE COOP DOOR CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW THIS WORKS, THANKS

It's usually the wife trying to talk the husband into interior decorating, good for you MarcBinNC!

Very helpful. My wife (chickenwifey) and I have been debating curtains and hopefully this will help persuade her that we need them
smile.png
Thanks!

I use grass clippings from my lawn. Just cut and sweep, but that only works for part of the year after that I use straw.

Back
Top Bottom