Nesting box material

Whatever material you use, it sounds like the actual problem is your chickens are sleeping in the box and they shouldn't be. I clean out the nest box when I clean the coop, and that's maybe 3x a year. There's never poop in the nest box other than maybe a tiny bit they track in.

You use dust-extracted wood shavings, don’t you? If not, CHANGE OVER URGENTLY.
Does this help?
the one thing I found a total waste of money is the woven straw mats bonded to paper that the ranch stores sell for nest pads. Our chickens tore those to pieces in just a few days. Plain old wood shavings are working well but I am going to try a square of carpet under the shavings just for some extra padding.

We considered it but decided against it. It was just something else to buy. Plus it doesnt last as long as the pine shavings. Didnt really seem cost effective

People use all kinds of different things for nest bedding, including carpet and such. You can try that turf if you wish, roll-away nests often do.

Changing bedding may make it easier to clean but not solve the basic problem, they are pooping in the nests. Why? When? Who? Are they sleeping in there? Is it happening during the day? If you can tell us a bit about what is happening we may be able to help with the real problem.

I started using artifical turf pads a few months ago & I mostly like them. Previously used shavings & then chopped straw. I got tired of the straw sticking to the eggs & replenishing often. The pads are easy to wash with a hose & a little dish soap. Keeps a broken egg from soaking into my wooden boxes. Only thing I don't like is they smell some with my broody sitting in them in hot weather even though there are no eggs under her. The chickens took to them fast.

Do you use them in the run?
I started using artifical turf pads a few months ago & I mostly like them. Previously used shavings & then chopped straw. I got tired of the straw sticking to the eggs & replenishing often. The pads are easy to wash with a hose & a little dish soap. Keeps a broken egg from soaking into my wooden boxes. Only thing I don't like is they smell some with my broody sitting in them in hot weather even though there are no eggs under her. The chickens took to them fast.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-on-artificial-grass.1261361/ . Can you respond via this please?
People use all kinds of different things for nest bedding, including carpet and such. You can try that turf if you wish, roll-away nests often do.

Changing bedding may make it easier to clean but not solve the basic problem, they are pooping in the nests. Why? When? Who? Are they sleeping in there? Is it happening during the day? If you can tell us a bit about what is happening we may be able to help with the real problem.

Hi there!! I'm not sure about the other beddings, but I LOVE mini or regular pine shavings!! They have worked for me for quite some time and it doesn't bother my birds. Have a nice day!!!

Back
Top Bottom