Nesting box material?

ksohn79

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 6, 2012
Claremont, NH
What do you use for material in your nesting boxes? I've read different things online and thought I would ask folks what they recommend?

Hi! I use the astro-turf nest liners from FarmTek. They are grey, have fake grass which all leans one direction which helps the eggs to roll out of the nest box into the collection area. They are SUPER easy to clean out. If I have a hen "go" in the box, I just take it outside, beat it on the ground and return it to the nest box. I have installed craft foam under these liners and if there is a shell-less egg, I just rinse off the liner and the foam. Really easy to clean, allows ventilation, and isn't inviting to mites and the like!

I use pine shavings in their coop and nest boxes. We do scoop the poop out of the coop each day (wearing gloves and picking through the shavings). The chickens seem to like how soft it is. It stays clean and dry, and is good insulation in the cold too. Once as month I do a complete change out of the bedding. Ialso sprinkle food grade diatomaceous earth in the shavings to prevent any bugs.

I like pine shavings. I find they are less likely to scratch them out of the nest like they do straw.
I have used leaves in the fall but they tend to fall apart quickly.
I've have used lots of different materials but I have found that pine shavings stay the cleaniest and definately stay in the nest box the longest.

We have a screen bottom on the nesting boxes. The wire mesh is pretty fine, but it does let too many shavings fall out. So we have put hay in the boxes, (yes, actual hay) and the girls seem to like it a lot. They make a big fuss of organizing it. Pretty cute. We don't have to replenish it all that often. It smells nice.

i too have hardware cloth on the bottom of my nest box and also under the roost - so that is why straw works better than the wood shavings/chips...

Thanks everyone. We use wood shavings in the coop so I think we'll try them in the nesting boxes as well to start. Just got them built and we are going to put them in the coop this weekend : )

Back
Top Bottom