Nesting box pads???

Quote:
Perhaps there is something else to consider, from her point of view. Is it dark enoug? Is it quiet enough? Perhaps put her favorite material in the nezt box AND cover her favorite place with plywood. If she uses the box, slowly change the material by adding to the dirt. Keep her old spot covered until her new location is an old habit.

I have a few that lay in quirky places. We either encourage it, or rearrange things to prevent or discourage it.

Darkness seems to be key. GL

Anyone have any other ideas for nesting material that cannot be dragged intio the house at collection time, get wet during cleaning and then stain the eggs?? We have had quite a few great ideas; have we exhausted the ideas? Maybe a few more . . .

Pay a visit to the local taproom.

What you'd be looking for is some of the promotional barmats they get from the distributors. New or discarded, no matter. These are the rubber/soft plastic mats with the raised nubbles, so that they catch the drippings from floating the head off a draft beer.

They provide a soft bottom for your nest boxes. The recesses intended to catch beer drippings will fill up in time with the fines from whatever bedding you use, but they're easily cleaned with the spray from a hose.

Quote:

X2 and I'm not a bartender
lol.png
Seriously, super great idea -

don't the shirts get all wet and draw moisture? I know they say not to put towels or blankets in dog boxes because they draw moisture and do not retain the heat. I would think the same would hold true for a nesting box. just wondering? i was thinking of nesting pads that are plastic or some that are made from wood shavings. they will not draw moisture and they actually keeps the eggs cleaner. but i am open to something that is low cost or free!

i just put in rubbermade wannabe shelf liners in to my nest box under the shavings. my oh my it's been a month and sooo much better and NO broken eggs from them getting slid around in the boxes.

I use pine shavings and have for many years. However,they get kicked out of nests and get stuck to the fresh wet eggs. Considering trying nest pads, the kind made from shavings (kinda like Easter grass). Does anyone use these? Just wondering how long they last? Do you clean them or throw them out once soiled?

Back
Top Bottom