Nesting box question

I read that chickens like a cozy, quiet, dark nest, so I put a top on it, that along with a lot of the commercial ones I have seen have a top on it, but, as long as the chicky is happy, I don't think they care.
big_smile.png

ArkyBird, it just occurs to me, if you're going to mount your very nicely constructed boxes inside the coop and then put a slanting roof on top to prevent roosting, you'll be creating a triangular tube. Instead of covering the ends, you might as well make two additional cubbies for additional nesting space at either end. Of course you'll want to put in a couple little partitions to prevent them from going in and laying exactly half way through the tube--hard to reach in. Just an idea. Let me know if you understand what I'm talking about--not sure I explained very well.

Mark

Last edited:
I had not thought about that, but that is a great idea, I think I will do just that, two extra nesting boxes for nothing. Thanks.
cool.png

So, my 9 wk. old pullets sleep in thier nesting boxes now. Should I close them off from there till they are of laying age? They don't use the roost at night, they just huddle in the box.

I kept mine closed off till they started showing signs of laying. If they are sleeping in there, they are GOING in there too and you dont want that on and under you eggs when they come.

Ok, another project for the husband to take care of for now. Maybe that will convince them to get out of the coop a little more anyway.

Thanks

Quote:
Come on I will walk you through closing them off:

get an old feed bag(empty)
put in in the hole
Done

You can use anything/ piece of wood, cardbaord box, etc.......................................

Quote:
People like to put slanted tops on the nest boxes so that the birds don't roost up there and poop in the boxes.

I saw one where vinyl flooring was mounted at an angle, and others where plywood was mounted on a hinge.

Quote:
No it doesn't have to have a top, it doesn't have to mounted on the wall, I've seen just boxes with no tops, basically just dividers, and someone on here has just a box sitting on the ground. its whatever works for yours, but enclosed boxes seems to be what most go with.

Back
Top Bottom