Nesting box question

Galaxie Man, those nesting boxes you made look great. We both had the same idea, but I used 3/4 plywood because it was the scrap I had laying around. I put my together with glue and screws, except the front edge of the box and the roost. I just screwed them, in the event I need to remove the front for ease of cleaning.
Trust me everyone, I am not a cabinet maker, my nesting box is gonna work, but is not perfect. Of course, one of the great things about chickens is they don't care!

Quote:
I'm no cabinet maker either (but I am definitely improving as a carpenter), and that's why I didn't use plywood. The only way I could think to put it together if I used plywood was with dado cuts and glue, because of the way plywood is laminated, I didn't think I'd be able to nail or screw it together and have it be structurally strong enough. Unless maybe I used 3/4" plywood, but my design would've weighed way more than it does now. The pine boards nailed together easily, and the 2" finish nails bite into the edges of the pine boards nicely with no splitting. I'll try to remember to add up the receipts from Home Cheapo to see what mine actually cost me. I don't have any scrap wood lying around, so I knew purchasing lumber to build nesting boxes would be part of the overall coop budget.

Back
Top Bottom