nesting box question

tvince7

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Hello finally getting started on my coop and was wondering typical size of the nesting box and how far from floor shold they be?Thanks for the help.

12X12X12 works well. It could be a bit larger though not needed. Mine are larger 14X13 and height slops at 15 inches down to 12 but have a 10X10 inch opening. The idea for placement is that they wont be inclined to nest in them. So as long as they are lower than your roosting poles and high enough for your ease of gathering eggs all is well. Ours is an external box attached to coop. Coops elevated 2 ft and nesting box entrance is up a few inches from litter so about 5 inches from bottom of coop.

Last edited:
Eggheads height is good, but may I suggest individual nest boxes that sit directly on the floor? The reason for this is that broody hens can be moved easily, nest and all, without a big fuss. I've used this method forever and it's a thing of beauty. Of course, I pen my broodies in a maternity pen, away from any disturbances by other hens. Also, chicks need a floor level nest box for easy exit and entrance. Maybe you don't ever want chicks, but if you do, think about it. The downside is bending to get eggs, unless you have an egg picker, like mine. It's actually a long handle, 3 tine, garden cultivator. Just food for thought.......Pop

The bottom of my nests (12x12) are 15" AFF (with 4" threshhold) to allow more floor space in my compact coop. It is not inducive to brooding hes and new hatchlings, but I dont breed, so not an issue.

I would suggest a deeper threshhold because the hens kick a lot of the bedding out.

My nest boxes are on the floor. I also have a few that are elevated but they like to roost in those. The ones on the floor they do not roost on/in.

Here is Wallenda checking out the recycled (free!) boxes...

Back
Top Bottom