Nesting box questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bjo_6, Apr 26, 2017.

1. bjo_6

bjo_6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    What is the ratio of nesting boxes per hens... I have around 20 bantam hen chickens. How many boxes do I need?

What are dimensions for a bantam nesting box?

Thanks!

2. bzombie

bzombie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Ohio
    I always heard 2 to 4 hens to 1 nesting box, but then ive heard they can be picky and wont share. Im ending up making one for each one just incase.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Id use 5 boxes for 20 to 24 birds. Do people bother to make smaller nests for bantams? I use 11 to 12 inches each side with a smaller entrance like 9x9 and some cut a circle with jig saw.

I tell people you need a minimum of two if 4 to 10 birds then you need three until over 15 birds and so on adding a box per 5th bird. You can get away with only one box if 3 birds or less and may want 3 boxes over 8 birds if you've broody types and want to let one set. There are a few variables but in general and for most small back yard flocks of 6 birds two nests is perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my three nest exterior access nest box. Screwed to the outer cleats then two small pieces of plywood tacked to inner cleats. Lid it attached to coop via hinges. Volia, three nest box good for up to 15 birds, less if you let a broody set.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by