Nesting Box Size.

tryals15

Chirping
Feb 23, 2010
Metairie, LA
I just started building my coop, and I'm already changing design specs. =]

24717_566966383118_45706032_32858080_3124248_n.jpg

The interior of the coop is 33" from stud to stud on the interior (front to back). I was going to build two nesting boxes at 12" wide (on the left) and just fill the rest of the space with wall, but could I get away with 3 ~10.5" wide boxes instead? I have the room to compensate with depth if that is necessary...

It looks like a small coop, so I'm guessing you'll just have a few chickens. Two nest boxes would be plenty I'm sure. Unless you'll have bantams, that sounds awfully small. My nest boxes are about 15 or 16 inches wide, and my girls seem to enjoy having a bit more room. I would just make them a little wider than the suggested standard of 12".
37862_all_five_layed_2-21_003.jpg

Here are my nest boxes. My one girl held out as long as she could before heading in behind the other one to lay her egg...lol.

Yeah, we're only getting 6 chicks. I know two nesting boxes is fine, I just wanted to make good use of space... I'm glad to hear that wider would work too, I may go that route instead of limiting the boxes to 1 cu ft.

Yes, many people use 12" as a standard, I think to conserve space. But let me tell you, my big, fluffy BO would not be happy stuffing her big butt into a 12x12" box!! Some folks even use covered litter boxes as nest boxes, and those are much larger than 12" obviously. If you have the space, I'd go a little bigger...maybe 14 or 16 inches. But unless you have bantam breeds, I wouldn't go smaller than 12".

Back
Top Bottom