Nesting box up grade

qhlover

Chirping
May 15, 2015
West Texas
After noticing that are 12 girls only use two nesting boxes I decided to upgrade their boxes. I put in fewer boxes but made each box bigger and allowed myself easier access to the eggs. You will notice that the boxes sit at ground level I did this because the boxes that Got use the most with old set up we're at ground level. Two of our ducks even go in the coop to lay their eggs
1f604.png

Chickens also think in practical ways as well. Ground level easier to enter. 12 chickens can do well enough with 2 or 3 nesting boxes. If the chickens start to lay eggs HEAVY DUTY, LOL, then you may find 2 hens in same nest at same time. Good reason to make nesting boxes larger rather than smaller. 12 x 12 x 12 is on the minimum size.. 16 x 16 x 16 is more ideal size, for standard size hens. If you have banties, then smaller nesting works fine as well. Many peeps suggest to place nesting boxes elevated from the floor lets say 12 inches above.. Reason........ To keep chickens from scratching and flinging the floor litter into nests.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom