1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting Box ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lunkerchicken, Sep 1, 2009.

1. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

My little ladies should begin laying soon and I had a question about lining the nesting box floor. As of right now, my nesting boxes are boarded up so the girls don't use it to sleep in. I have a foam mat secured to the floor of each box but wanted to put something on top. I use pine shavings on the main coop floor and wanted to use something different. Any suggestions? Hay? Straw? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I would eliminate the foam pad and only use the shavings. They will foul the nest and the foam will attract and hold the moisture and odors.

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    shavings...straw and hay get hot...and also they have tunnels like a reg. straw and they draw lice/mites in them...

4. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Great info - thanks for the tips....
    [​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I was thinking about buying those new nesting pads, I forget what they are made of, but they are washable and breathable. Have you seen those?

6. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    This is what I use with pine shavings. Easy to clean. I put old plastic trays on the top for the poop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I use a gray plastic nest pad that looks like a the plastic grass door mats. I found the best price at www.Cutlersupply.com. It is very easy to clean. I just hit it against the side of something and the droppings fall off. Occasionally I wash them. It is made so that all of the "grass" ends point in on direction and since I use rollout nest boxes it aids in the eggs leaving the nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by