Nesting Box ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roddonna, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Roddonna

Roddonna Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Hello.

We have 3 hens and 3 nesting boxes inside of a large old Dog house.
    I find Daily that one box is filled with Fecal matter the other box is not used at all and today I found 2 eggs in the same box.

Is it normal for them to lay eggs of a different hen in the same box after the other one lays?

Why would they defecate in one box all the time?

should I take that box out?

Thanks.

2. Sharon Bee

Sharon Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Ontario
    My chickens lay their eggs mostly in one nest. There are a couple in two other boxes but they all seem to like the one nest for some reason.

They never use the nests to poo in though. I would take away that box and see what happens.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Location, Location, Location.

Chickens like to lay in a certain area where they feel safe.

As to why they are defecating in one box is a mystery to me. Maybe they have decided that box will be the toilet.

4. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island
    Hello,

It is completely normal for them to lay in the same box. We have had as many as 30 in one coop an they would lay in 2 sometimes 3 of their 13 nest boxes. They always pick a favourite and squabble over who gets to use it first.:D

The one that is full of poop is probably where they are sleeping, either in the nest box or roosting on the side of it if it is open on top. Do they have somewhere to roost? If not, add a roosting bar that is higher up than your best boxes and they will use that.

5. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island

Wouldn't that be amazing?! Litter trained chickens that only go in one spot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by