Nesting boxes for silkies...

TinyChickenLady

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
My backyard farm, Maine
I have a bunch of silkies. I don't know their genders yet.
So I'll give you an idea of the inside of my coop first.
99916_babyshower_and_coop_116.jpg

These are the standard nesting boxes. They are approx. 2 - 3 feet off the ground.
My question is can my silkies get into them if I put a ladder up to them (which I plan on doing anyway because my chickens are SPOILED) or should I put a couple of boxes on the floor for them?
I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep them comfortable
smile.png

I recently made them a ladder so they can get up on their trash can and lip of the wall for the nights and they LOVE it so I will be making more.
99916_babyshower_and_coop_115.jpg

This is where they sleep. Just imagine a little 3 rung ladder (roost) next to the can...
So is the ladder enough or would they prefer to lay their eggs on the ground?
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
The only way a silkie will get into that is a ladder or ramp, but since they go broody so often, I'd be worried about them getting out of them, with the battles some broodies go thru.
I would make them closer to the ground, or more of them lower.

Not an expert but do have 1 silkie. My nests are 15 inches above the floor (so the other chickens can use the floor below). She does but usually not get up to the nests. No ladder. So some nights she will sleep and lay her eggs on the floor.

My silkie nests are about a foot off the ground... Same for their roosts... Poor birds are incapable of flight, and heights scare them...

Thank you all so much!
I have heard that they don't roost but for some reason mine do...
But I didn't want to add the extra burden of them trying to get to their nest boxes if they are too high.
The reason I built their first ladder is because they sleep on top of a 2 1/2 foot high trash can and I know they don't fly so I thought it would be easier.
But I will put some nesting boxes closer to the ground (I didn't think of broodieness!) thanks to all of your advice.
smile.png

Quote:
both mine roost with the other gals...they all started roosting around the same time, but i have a ladder for them and a poopboard so they are really not that far up (like 18-24 inches).

i would build something lower for the silkies...

Back
Top Bottom