1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting boxes? where can I get em?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jason_mazzy, Jan 29, 2011.

1. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    I would rather not build them. Are there any nesting boxes made or around here in the NC area? At least 4-5 across or so. Or is anyone in the area of hickory/charlotte that will amke them for a reasonable price. Hell 3 pieces of plywood will make a nice one, I just don't have any saw horses and/or the time.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Do a search...I know they can be ordered. Google is your friend. [​IMG]

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    milk crates old dresser baskets. almost anything can be a nesting box. In one coop we have milk crates in the other an old dresser
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
  5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    MILK CRATES work great! You will need 1 crate for every 3 or so hens! How many hens do you have. All you have to do is turn them on there side and put some bedding in there and it is practically free! The best way!

-Nate

6. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I guess it all depends on what you had in mind. We use old wooden apple crates on the floor.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    They really like kitty litter boxes too, especially the covered ones.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

or 5 gallon bucket on their sides

Imp

9. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Yeah I have a bunch of bus tubs. They work, but now my goat wants to jump in them and push them off the table I made. That is why I was looking for the box type. Probably 6 foot across with 4-5 dividers in it.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If I were in your position I'd go to WalMart and pick up whatever they had that would work; you've had some good suggestions. One of mine is one of their plastic open top bins that has a sort of cutout in the front, low enough for the hen to stroll in with ease; also low enough for my broody and her chicks to get in.

When I need another nest box, I can always find something lying around here that I can use or convert, so I've never actually bought or built them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by