nesting boxes

k8frisby1

In the Brooder
May 12, 2016
So after getting 3 straight run chicks, we are down to 2 hens. This is ok for us because we live in an urban area and are just starting out; we will most likely add another hen sometime next year.
My question: our prefab coop is tiny...and the nesting box with the divider making 2 boxes is ridiculously small. Can I leave out the divider and have one larger one for 2 hens?
My other option would be to add a nesting box somehow to the outside run we are building this weekend which will be attached to and covering their small coop. Can I make a crate nest box on the ground? Should I raise it off the ground? Is it better for it to be attached physically to the coop?

TIA!!

My question: the nesting box with the divider making 2 boxes is ridiculously small. Can I leave out the divider and have one larger one for 2 hens? That would be ideal especially tor two or three hens.
My other option would be to add a nesting box somehow to the outside run we are building this weekend which will be attached to and covering their small coop. Can I make a crate nest box on the ground? Yes Should I raise it off the ground? About 2 feet off the ground will make collecting the eggs that much easier and not take away from valued floor space. Is it better for it to be attached physically to the coop? I would say yes if possible.

Some people have good results with his Wall mounted set up, enclosed cat litter boxes, 5 gal pails, milk crates, or even rubber maid containers with a hole for the chicken to gain access .

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 67 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

I hold the bag in place with these paper binders.

Easy Peasy Japaneasy

images

TIA!!

Last edited:
yeah- they keep knocking down the barrier I have erected to keep them out of the nesting area so I'm going to have to do something much sturdier for the next couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom