Nesting boxes

SoloSparky

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2020
New to chickens, we have 12 birds(6- Isa browns 16 weeks old and 6- golden comets about 12 weeks old). I opened up the 4 nesting boxes for them last week. I put about 2" of pine shavings in each box with 1-2 ceramic eggs in each box. My question is will they start to use the boxes when they are ready to start laying eggs, or do I need to " train them" to use the boxes. So far none have stated to lay eggs yet. Much thanks for the help.

New to chickens, we have 12 birds(6- Isa browns 16 weeks old and 6- golden comets about 12 weeks old). I opened up the 4 nesting boxes for them last week. I put about 2" of pine shavings in each box with 1-2 ceramic eggs in each box. My question is will they start to use the boxes when they are ready to start laying eggs, or do I need to " train them" to use the boxes. So far none have stated to lay eggs yet. Much thanks for the help.
I think that they generally try to find the coziest, most welcoming spot for them to lay. If that happens to be in the corner of the coop, then they'll go there. In that case, some training is required. If that place is the nesting box, yay! It'll make your life easier. Apparently when they first start to lay they can lay in some weird places, but it'll even out.

You already did, the way you train them is to put eggs into the boxes to give them the hint of where to lay. Chickens like to lay where others have already laid, that's why you may see a bunch of eggs in one box. The isa browns normally start laying anytime from 18-22 weeks but it's usually 20 weeks or so. Not sure when the golden comets lay but I think it's around 16-18 weeks. Just make sure the boxes are comfortable for them and they should lay in them

They should start exploring the boxes shortly before they start laying, and if they like what they see, they should use them without any additional work from you.

Occasionally some chickens won't quite figure it out so readily (my previous batch of chicks never noticed the boxes, even though the hens were using them and they're very obvious in the coop!), so if that ends up being an issue, you can try training them to the boxes, but hopefully that won't happen.

Back
Top Bottom