1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sky king, Jun 17, 2011.

1. sky king

sky king Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Rome GA
    What is the best thing to put in layin boxes hay/chips/pine straw ?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It's different for different folks, but *I* use pine shavings.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Any of those are fine.

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I put in Equine Pine (which comes as pellets, but I put it in a wheelbarrow and add water to 'explode' the pellets before putting in the henhouse) with a "nest" of hay on top. I have horses so the hay is readily available. I like the hay on top b/c it's more nest-like, plus it keeps the eggs from getting shavings all stuck to them. [​IMG]

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

What ever you choose, remember that you are going to be changing it fairly frequently as the hens seem to like to poo while they are laying. A nest box with a liner that is removable and easily cleaned is very handy and the nest litter really doesn't serve but for something for the hens to kick out and to keep eggs from rolling around anyway

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Huh?? None of mine ever do! My nest box is super clean. I remove the hay and put in fresh every few weeks just to make it fluffy, but it's always perfectly clean.

7. sky king

sky king Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Rome GA
    Thanks every body. IMa try the pine chip cause I have boat loads of it but I thought about hay cause I have a little of it left.
    An as far as removeble inserts for the boxes what would you all use ? Milk crates cause I got Alot lol

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I use hay and change it out every couple of weeks or when the girls kick it out.

9. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I use home made grass hay, they just love it. It's only dirty when they juvies roost on the nest edge and poo in it. Otherwise, they are always clean.

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Anybody ever use wheat or rice straw? Seems to be a lot of it in my area. Just wondering..........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by