Nesting boxes...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rescuedrvr4u, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Rescuedrvr4u

Rescuedrvr4u Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Question 3 (out of the 9 million I will ask...sorry) We have built a second coop that everybody has had access to for about 2 weeks. 6 new nesting boxes with fresh wood chips covered with fresh straw. Really nice boxes. Occasionally the girls will get in the boxes, but no one ever lays any eggs in them. Any idea why? Or what I can do? Even in the original coop, with 6 nice boxes, they only lay in 2 of those. Any suggestions?

2. glucke

glucke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2011
    what kind of chickens do you have? you could put some golf balls in the nesting boxes. most chickens get the hint and think: if everybody puts her eggs here, that must bee a good spot!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Chickens will practice when they are close to laying. My chickens will only lay in 1 nest box even though there are 4 of them. The other chickens who are waiting to lay will actually try to get the one who's laying out of the box so they can lay their egg even though there are 3 other boxes they can lay their egg.

4. whoaitsmike

whoaitsmike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Indiana
    that's interesting....i wonder how to get them to use it. is it golf balls? maybe you can put dummy chickens there

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I had one pullet practice then the rooster got in. Since then I've had 7 pullets lay in the 4 nest. Plus in the dog house and the shed in a cordboard box I have in there. They don't need anything fancy, just functional. [​IMG]

I just use mostly wheat straw and a little white pine straw.

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    My chickens have always laid behind the nest boxes. [​IMG] Are the boxes very exposed to the entrance of the coop? Sometimes they just like a bit of privacy. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  7. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I have mine on "My page" on page two. I finally had to paint them black and added a curtain. Started to use them within 2 days of the changes. Prior to that they laid underneath of them in the sand.

8. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I found putting my nest boxes in one of the back corners worked for me they do like the idea of having privacy

9. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Don't worry. My pulleys layed in all kinds of different places. Even in the water once. The only one that got it until now was my BO. the rest just now figured out where to lay. That took about 4 to 5 months...

10. LukesCityHens

LukesCityHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Fayetteville
    mine were laying in a random rabbit cage at first, I made a nesting box and still has yet to see use....I finally cut the south(or darkest) side of the coop wall out and built a two-hole nesting box that kinda added on to the coop. ever since they get in and lay daily.....in my experience(which isn't much) they lay more in dark comfortable spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by