nesting boxes?

zerwitt14

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Indiana
Anyone build their own nesting boxes? I am planning out my coop and need to keep things as economical as I can, I plan to pretty much build everything after converting my shed into the coop. Any designs or pics appreciated.

Some folks make hanging nest boxes that can be accessed from the outside. Those are nice and almost required with a tiny coop. I prefer a large coop or barn and like the boxes inside. With our winters, every bit helps. I simply make 16" or 18" cubes. Nothing fancy, out of scrap OSB or plywood, whatever floats up on my beach. I do use carpenter's glue on the joints and shoot with finish nailing gun. Easy as pie.

A very necessary step is to remember a 1x4 or piece of 4" base board scrap to attach across the lower front. This helps greatly to keep the straw or chips inside the box.

One last point. A beginning pullet likes to lay on the ground or coop floor. She doesn't start out thinking about laying way up high somewhere. This is my experience. I place the nesting boxes quite low at first. Raising them later on is fine, the birds usually get it, but not so much the first few weeks.

Last edited:
My hubby built mine, exterior boxes. He used 1/4 inch ply wood, making a 12x14 inch box. Cut a hole in the wall of the coop 1/4 inch smaller than the size of the box and screw it on from the inside. He could probably best describe this building, however basically this is how he did it. Pretty cheap if you have some materials laying around.

Last edited:
How high do you start the boxes out off the ground? Would it work to have a series of boxes starting at say a foot off the ground, then some at 3, then 5 foot off the ground? do you use staw or those mats they sell? how many boxes for how many hens? if I have 15 hens how boxes would be enough??

I made my 4 nest hanging box out of a 4x8 sheet of 7/16" OSB and a couple pieces of scrap 2x lumber that I had laying around. It has 4 nexts 12x12x16tall and I currently have it mounted 12" off the floor.

As long as the chickens can access the boxes and they are lower than the roost bar, than any height will work. I have a small coop and my boxes are only 6 inches off the floor. I only have 4 hens, however 1 box was not enough! The girls were all standing in line for hours! So now that I have 2 boxes for the 4 girls, there is no waiting. I use grass hay in my boxes. They enjoy making a nest out of the hay and my girls don't seem to kick it out like they did shavings.

I didn't bother building any inside the garage I keep them in., They don't use the ones my grandfather made for the exterior.
_MG_3057.jpg
I just pick out boxes from costco and set them on my already-existing shelves. Works great! Chickens love them.

Back
Top Bottom