Nesting box question

Miriahbrown

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2023
We made our coop last September and knew we would add the nesting boxes later. Well, later has come 🤦🏻‍♀️. I intended us to have already build external nesting boxes that we planned to add - but it's been so rainy and we have been really busy. If I used milk crates for nesting boxes in their coop - would that work as a temporary option?

Would they transition easily to other nesting boxes in the future if we added external nesting boxes that they access in their coop? I don't want to make things harder later on, but this would be much easier.

We use milk crates in our coop and have for the 13 years we've had chickens. They are screwed to a wall and supported by a 2x4 and work well. The question is, how much space will be lost in your coop if you do this? Be sure your roosts are higher than the nests but not so high that your chickens will hurt their feet jumping down from the roosts. (Mine are probably a little high). If you can later put the permanent nests on the same wall as the temporary ones, that should help the hens transition to the new ones.

If I used milk crates for nesting boxes in their coop - would that work as a temporary option?
Yes. Attach them so they cannot flip over when a hen flies up to perch on the edge while getting in.

Would they transition easily to other nesting boxes in the future if we added external nesting boxes that they access in their coop? I don't want to make things harder later on, but this would be much easier.
I have no idea what would happen with your chickens is you removed those milk crates. They would lay somewhere but I have no idea where. There is no guarantee they will lay in the milk crates to start with. You can encourage them to lay where you want by putting a fake egg there (I use golf balls, some people use plastic Easter eggs or more lifelike wooden or ceramic eggs). That often works.

Back
Top Bottom