Nesting Box's

jprice2ndlt

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Hodges, S.C.
Does anyone have any ideas on some nesting box's. coop is 6x6 and just looking for some ideas on some new kind of design. mine now are just 2x2 boxs. thanks in advanc

I use the commercial ones, because that is what I had available. But I have heard of people using milk crates, 5 gallon buckets turned on their side, dog crates etc.

I had access to plenty of 5 gallon buckets, so here is what I am trying out.. I cut lids about 1/3 to retain the hay or in this case shavings, bored some holes on the down side of the bucket to drain any moisture or fine dust. I key holed the back of the bucket in two spot in a vertical line to mount the buckets to the backboard, to allow for quick removal for cleaning. Mounted perch boards for the girls easy entry and exit. 15 buckets total mounted in a frame that someone junked that held and old projection tv. House is also made from 40x48 shipping pallets.

Time will tell how it works.

Good Luck

Mitch

Great use of materials Mehr10 !!!!
Have you observed any "sliding around" of the hens when trying to get in or out of the nest/buckets?

We took some Sterlite totes and mounted them on the wall. I had a bunch of them just laying around empty after a yard sale and my husband asked if I could use them for anything. My girls just started laying a few weeks ago and I had dish pans in the coop for them lol. I think they like these better! I have 35+ hens so I mounted 9 totes on the walls. I have one that just started laying last week and likes to do so on the floor so I put one tote on the floor.

My oldest ones are still about a month away from egg laying. So most of the ones that I have put in there to introduced them to the boxes did well. A couple of the high strung ones did not stay long, a little bit of slipping getting out in a hurry. They appear to be getting in at night by the looks of the shavings when I let them out in the morning. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom