nesting material, and other questions

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by RareFeathers, May 3, 2011.

1. RareFeathers

RareFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Tamworth, NSW
    i was wondering if you can use pine shavings as a nesting material for pigeons...
    i know straw is preferred, but straw here is a rare commodity, and if i can get some, it's very pricy, to say the least. i was also wondering if they would nest off the ground. mine currently live with my chickens, so i definately cannot have the bowl on the ground. i can get a bowl from a pet shop which i can hook onto some wire next to where the pigeons perch. but i' not sure if they'll nest in it.
    thanks!
    james

2. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    Is "here" new south wales? You can put the shavings in the nest and they will use it. Also you can pick some tall grass and put it on the floor of the coop so they can carry it to there nest. most pigeons will nest off the ground, but some will build nest on the ground. From my experience if they start to nest on the ground they will always. I've been told that birds that were hatched on the ground will nest on the ground when they mature. Although I don't know if that's true.

3. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    I have always used the longer pine needles, like from white pine. The needles keep the bugs and mites out and the birds loved it. It will give your loft a piney smell also. Give it a try I loved useing them and they are clean to work with. [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I use dried grass for mine, or hay, or shavings...basically anything I can find to give them for a nest.

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Shavings makes a nice bedding for the nests but they still like to build on top of it. Pine needles (the long ones, preferably) are the best nesting material to build with.

6. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    the padding for carpet does good to

7. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have had the best luck with hay. I lost more with pads then hay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by