Nesting material

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mattv1984, Nov 29, 2016.

1. mattv1984

mattv1984 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    I've been using pine shavings durring the summer months. Should I switch to straw durring the winter time?

2. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We use sweet timothy hay year around. I buy it in a bag packaged for small animals at Meijer. It's already cut to a perfect size to fit into the nesting boxes

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I currently use straw but once this bale is gone I will be switching over and using hay.

4. RawhideChicks

RawhideChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2016
    I use Koop Clean and i love it. Chicks seem to also! It's a mix of grasses and contains sweet PDZ. http://www.koopclean.com. My local Ace Hardware ordered it for me. Pricey but it lasts forever!

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Nest boxes
    In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
    Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 66 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

[​IMG]

I hold the bag in place with these paper binders.

Easy Peasy Japaneasy

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by