1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nesting material

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swimmom, Oct 2, 2009.

1. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have thick pine shavings in my nesting box and the one girl who is laying will scoop it all to the side until just bare wood is showing and lay her egg there. I'm afraid the eggs will get broken. Am I being over anxious or should I put something under the pine shavings for added cushioning?

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You could put a piece of cardboard or linoleum on the bottom.

I wouldn't put anything like foam, cuz the chickens will eat it.

4. Danigirl3

Danigirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Central Maine
    I posted this same thing just a few days ago. I put hay in mine and they keep getting in and kicking it all out. I put it back and they kick it out. It's a vicious cycle and I end up with cracked eggs. Uggggg.

5. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    I think I read somewhere about somebody using rubber shelf liners. I haven't tried it myself yet but they should be real easy to clean. Maybe put straw or sawdust on top of them?

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I had this problem and was getting a cracked egg every day from the same chicken. I added a piece of cardboard under the shavings.....now even if they move the shavings out of the way, the cardboard has enough "give" to keep the egg from breaking.

7. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use hay and form a "nest" in it. They seem to like it.

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have hay, but more times than not the bare wood shows because of their 'nesting.' I have only had one cracked egg so far. It's gotten better.

9. gardenergirl

gardenergirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Chicagoland
    I was thinking of using the round liners for hanging baskets. Would that work?

10. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try the cardboard first and see how that goes. You guys are the greatest! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by