1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nesting material?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kittykorat, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    My girls are getting close to laying.. what do you use as nesting material in your nest boxes?

2. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    My husband is a carpenter, so I use wood shavings. My friend uses dry leaves.

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    It may not be the best, but I just use the same wood shavings that we use for the coop floor. It's nice because when it gets dirty, I can just dump it into the coop and replace it, and then we only need one kind of bedding.

You must be getting excited! I was so impatient for our first egg, and when it came, I was SO HAPPY!!! [​IMG]

4. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Pine shavings, light dusting of DE and a layer of hay.

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I dump one of those bales of pine shavings into a garbage can so I can easily replenish a soiled nest for the cleanest eggs, and in the garbage can the shavings stay dry until I need them right outside the coop door.

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have used dry leaves and hay, but I like to use dry pine needles (I have a lot of pine trees [​IMG] ). Some of my hens prefer empty nest boxes and will move anything in whatever box she chooses. [​IMG]

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I use pine shavings, personally.

8. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    grass hay

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Grass clippings for both. Free. Smells good too. Chooks like to eat it until it gets extremely dry and old. And did I forget to say, it is free![​IMG]

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    we use hay... works like a charm! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by