Nesting materials

chickadoo20

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2022
I'm having a problem with my hens taking all of the bedding out of their nests. I've tried hay, wheat straw, cedar shavings, and cedar bedding pellets. They have emptied everything from their nests which causes the eggs to break when they are laid. I put silicone mats in to help cushion the nests but they pulled them out from under the bedding and threw them down before emptying the material out.
What can I use or do to stop this behavior?
TIA

I'm having a problem with my hens taking all of the bedding out of their nests. I've tried hay, wheat straw, cedar shavings, and cedar bedding pellets. They have emptied everything from their nests which causes the eggs to break when they are laid. I put silicone mats in to help cushion the nests but they pulled them out from under the bedding and threw them down before emptying the material out.
TIA
I personally use shavings, but I know some people who use fake grass? I don't know how It is but they wouldn't be able to kick it out of the boxes.

TIA
Please post pictures of your nest boxes.

I have a pretty high lip at the front of my boxes. It is 4" high. I can use pine shavings, hemp bedding and straw. I like the tightly packed leaf of straw as it really keeps the eggs clean.
nest box curtains.jpg

Second the request for picture of your nest boxes. Mine are deep enough they can't kick anything out but I also dont think they would if they were shallow, so something is probably off. I use nesting liners with timothy on top and Alfalfa in the front because they love to peck at the alfalfa, eat some and hide behind it.

Please post pictures of your nest boxes.

I have a pretty high lip at the front of my boxes. It is 4" high. I can use pine shavings, hemp bedding and straw. I like the tightly packed leaf of straw as it really keeps the eggs clean.
View attachment 3279267
Love this coop!
A 3-4" high lip in front of the nests will help a lot in keeping nesting material in. I find I don't need much nest material at all (I use hemp as I have it on hand). I pad my nest boxes for free with a empty feed bag, with a couple sheets of bubble wrap inside, folded to fit snugly on the bottom of the box.
View attachment 3280133
I only have about a 2 inch lip on my boxes. Maybe I'll try making them a little higher.

Back
Top Bottom